Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Parlez-vous Francais?

Since I moved to the States almost 8 years ago, the occasions to speak French, which is after all my mother tongue, have been limited. For the past year, I have been a member of a French club that meets the first tuesday of each month, and we chat about a chosen theme. There have been some amusing topics, some more serious, there were games and food tastings. We even have been to a local restaurant (french of course). So today was the first tuesday of March and even though I did not have the time to read the books that were going to be discussed, I chose to go the meeting. Among the members of the club, some are francophone, some are francophile, and all are fun. This was as usual a pleasent evening.

I do speak French to my daughter daily and with my mother at least once a week (thank you iChat video conferences!!). I must confess though having an adult conversation about just about anything, in French, it's bliss after spending the day immersed in English. I use my mother tongue so little, I don't even dream in French anymore! And sometimes I even have a hard time finding my words. I can't wait for my little one to make enough progress so we can really have a conversation together. Maybe another year or two. 

In the meantime, the club meetings are like a breath of fresh air. I just wish I could breathe more often. Good news also, we have found a babysitter so next Sunday, hubby and I are going to a nice french restaurant to celebrate the birthday of my french club friend. Too bad birthdays happens only once a year. I think, 2 meetings a month would be so nice. By the way, it started snowing as I was  leaving home, so I did wear my brand new red mittens. Awesome! Allez! Bonne nuit et à bientôt.

No comments:

Post a Comment