Monday, February 22, 2010

An almost day...

On my list of the day : bake some cookies. I was just going to go for plain chocolate chip cookies but then Anna (one of the installers I support) asked about the sugar cookies I had baked for Christmas. On instead I ended up baking a test batch for Easter themed cookies. As my current occupation doesn't really reflect, I went to a Hotel School in Switzerland. Of course part of the training included cooking and baking. As it turns out, I am a instinctive cook, rarely using recipes, but I am a laborious baker. Backing is like chemistry, when you don't follow the steps and quantities you usually end up with something else and often totally unusable outcome. Making sugar cookies for this past Christmas was an adventure. It was my first experience icing cookies. I must say the outcome was good however lacking the technical expertise to make it look 'Professional". This time around the result is much prettier. 
 The icing is shiny and smooth, covering more evenly, the coloring result is also much better. Almost there. Hopefully the next batch will be the one. I've done some testing with various sprinkles which I'm not going to to again. I think I will go rather for a multicolored pattern.

In the almost department, the tax return. Almost. I would have filed today except I could not put my hands on one of the donation receipts. I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow evening.Murpff! Also almost caught up in sleep. Yay! 

In the not so almost department, my daughter's dinner. I got a great idea this afternoon. The young lady loves chicken nuggets. Ok it's got proteins. But when you look at the nutrition fact on the packaging it's generally horrible food. I told myself I could do better and this is what I whipped together : ground turkey breast meat, mixed with eggs and breadcrumbs, and made to look like chicken nuggets by doing small patties also covered in bread crumbs and oven backed to make it lean and healthy. Well my daughter scarfed it down. Take that Ronald McDonald. Mommy 1 - Fast food 0 on this one. 


1 comment:

  1. Good mommy!! I'll be happy to get the recipe for the young monsters on this side of the atlantic ocean!

    ReplyDelete