Saturday, February 13, 2010

When everything goes as planned

So yesterday I had the firm intention to do as little as possible beyond laundry and a bit of house cleaning this weekend. I was doing great until about noon today. Then, I pushed the dining room table to be able to sweep. That's when everything changed. On the dining room wall, a couple of stains I cannot scrub off because it's a flat finish paint had been nagging me for months. 

For months, my OCD devil keep whispering to me: "Come on, you know you want to fix that", "This is ugly, it MUST be taken care of". For months I kept the OCD devil in check because of my terrible back pain. "Not a good idea with a bad back", "Not today, I'm so tired".  So I ignored the stains. But something has changed. I went to the doctor's about that back pain. And by the miracle of prescription medications, the pain is gone, barely a sore spot now. And I have been sleeping so much better lately that the same number of hours make me feel more refreshed in the morning. 

So this morning there was no pain, the soreness from the snow shoveling all but gone, and I felt I had some energy even before my first cup of coffee. Back to the dining room table and the sweeping. I pushed that table. And the stains were screaming "Neeener Neener". And the OCD devil "Look at those ugly stains, DO SOMETHING ALREADY". OK. Off to the basement. I know there is a bit of that paint color on one of the shelves downstairs. Yep. There was some paint left. Except the bucket was not properly sealed and it's all dried up now. Mpff! Gotta go to Home Depot for those stupid stains!

I look again at the shelves. There are a bunch of buckets of paint there, left overs from various house projects. Let's see what would look nice in the dining room. This room is the first one we repainted when we bought this house 5 years ago. We were broke so we only painted above the chair rail once the ugly wallpaper was gone. A color matching the paint below the chair rail. The result: beige + beige (OK technically it's "Camel" and Vanilla Custard" on the Behr color palette...) . I am not a beige person. I'm a colors person. My husband usually likes tamer colors than I do. But sometimes he is a bit more daring. He is the one that picked the color for our bedroom: "Red Jalapeño". 



For almost 2 years, we have been trying to decide which color to repaint the dining room/living room. And each time, it stopped at looking at paint chips. Can't agree on this one. Well now it is TIME. I'm deciding. Grabbed a bucket of "Lemon Pound Cake" paint, roller, and brush. March ! By the time the hubby pokes his head downstairs, I've painted the stains away.. and most of the north wall of the dining room. And miracle, he likes it. Great. 



Ahem .. not so great actually. Because it does not work very well with the color of the trim, and exceptionally badly with the beige above the chair rail. Time for some more paint chips. And I thought I would avoid a trip to Home Depot. Bad OCD devil!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment