Friday, February 5, 2010

Snowmageddon - part 2


About 6 years ago, as my husband was getting ready to leave active duty (yes I married a GI) we sat down with a map of the US and highlighted the states we would like to live in. The rules were : not too hot (after 2 years in GA, I was done with the tropical humid summers), not too cold, with distinguishable season, not too flat and a couple more criteria. I admit we are both somewhat OCD and tend to make decisions based on a spreadsheet. Nevertheless Maryland was a really good fit for our guidelines and I had scored a job so that's were we landed. I was expecting a climate close to what I was used when growing up in the south of France. Not so.

Summers in MD are much like the deep south , hot and muggy (ugh!) but at least a bit shorter. I could deal with that. Winters so far had been OK even though generally colder than I fancy. But this winter is about to break all records. According to the statistics, the average accumulated snowfall in a MD winter is around 18 to 20 inches (45 to 50 cm). Riiight. So far this winter we have seen a 23 inches on December 19th (see picture above) , several 4-5 inches "sprinkles" in January and are expecting up to 30 inches between tonight and tomorrow night. My daughter loves it ... I'm starting to get tired of the shoveling.

So this weekend will again be spent holed up at home, a fire roaring in the fireplace, and some shoveling intermissions as it is not supposed to quit snowing until 10pm-ish tomorrow. TV newscasts say it's a record breaking storm. I say major pain in the youknowwhat. Crap. Not really what I had signed for. Consoling myself by thinking about what it would be like if we had landed in PA. (Note: I have enough milk and TP for the weekend. LOL@ people that feel the need to raid the stores for those items before each storm)


No comments:

Post a Comment