Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Enough with the white stuff already !

It's official, the record of the most snow accumulation for one winter season in the area, was broken today. Over 75 inches  (1.90m) recorded at BWI airport and 79.4 inches (that's 2 meters) in Columbia MD. I grew up in the south of France where snow is an once in 2-3 winters event. Not getting used to this... nor do I want to. 
To have an idea of how much snow I'm talking about check this out: Snow timelapse and the local weather report


On the plus side shoveling is excellent exercise. Except it is really not fun at all in blizzard conditions like today's. This afternoon we tried to start the big dig again, thinking it would be smart to get started before sundown when the temperature dips even lower. The wind was making our efforts laughable. Half of each load was flying right back where we didn't want it. Wait a minute.. I didn't want ANY of it. Hmm that may be an early symptom of cabin fever. Anyway, after 45 minutes of complete misery, we gave up. Almost 10PM now and the wind is still going strong. I hope it dies down during the night. It will be rough enough to plow in below freezing temperatures. We don't need the wind chill to make it worse. 


Right now odds are not good for a safe commute to work. Call me crazy but I value my life too much to venture in pitiful road conditions for anything less than a dire emergency. Considering just taking the day off... The digging is already a job by itself.  Will re-evaluate in the morning. 



To end my day on a positive note, my daughter was awesome today. She played quietly even though she has been stuck indoors for days. One minor meltdown - quickly addressed by daddy. She even ate dinner, even though it was something new and not on her "acceptable foods" list. We ended the day cuddling and that felt great. Once again she saved the day :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment