Friday, February 19, 2010

Jinxed

Obviously this week was going way too good. It's always when you start believing it's going to be easy and  smooth that things start going south. In this case way south. It's past midnight and I'm still working on the same issue since 1pm apart from a break between 6pm and 9pm. Not to bore everybody with all the gory ahem sorry I meant geeky details but in short this is a database upgrade gone bad. Followed by a restore job gone bad. And another one failed as well. Now on restore number 3... This is going to be a long night. Unfortunately I'm not very versed into backup and restore intricacies. I'm just a database administrator. So if the restore job is not good, then I can't do my  job.. so here I am .. waiting for round 3 of restore to complete. Another 15 minutes to go. Help !! It's past my bedtime and my back hurts. Thank god for the calming virtues of chocolate

Insert intermission here. 

It is now 1AM and after the 3rd restore job completed the database is now recovered however the application layer is still not operational. Time to call the big guns, that would be the L3 technician on call. I'm sure whoever it is, is going to love me for my phone call. Of course they never pickup the phone so voicemail it is. I. It's getting harder to keep my eyes open. I'm obviously underpaid and now too tired to think straight. Can't wait for the call back. I can tell now how stress is one of the big factors for my back pain. Despite the medications, it is getting very painful now. And no sleep in sight. I don't think that chocolate can help at this point. 

Come on phone .. ring already. 

Finally ... 1:30 AM .. handed the disaster over to L3 support. Suddenly my back hurts just a bit less. Hoping to catch some sleep now. My life is just that awesome sometimes :D


4AM ... big guns could not fix the application problem. Handing the baby back to the upgrade tech to hopefully not fail this time and fix the application issue at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment